Beta version of Unibook 5.1

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 10:44:08 CST

    Hi, all,

    For those of you interested in running Unibook 5.1 on non-Windows platforms:

    Unibook version 5.1 seems to work quite well for me using Codeweaver's
    (http://www.codeweavers.com/) CrossOver Office, a commercial version
    of Wine for Linux. The company also makes a product for Mac OS X
    which I have not tried. The tested setup I used was a Novell SuSE
    Linux 10.0 installation on a 64-bit AMD machine.

    (Wine (http://www.winehq.com/) is an Open Source compatability layer
    for running Windows programs on non-Windows platforms such as Linux,
    FreeBSD, and Mac OS X. To my knowledge, several commercial
    value-added products exist. One of them is Codeweaver's product).

    Using Unibook 5.1 running under Codeweaver's wine on Linux, I was able
    to look through the code charts, change fonts, and print tables
    without a problem. I did encounter a "MS Visual C++ Runtime Buffer
    Overrun" when I tried clicking on OPTIONS -> FORMAT. I don't know if
    this is peculiar to my Wine setup or if this represents an actual bug
    in the program.

    I suspect that a lot of work would be required to make native Linux or
    Mac ports of this application, and therefore I suspect it simply won't
    happen. Given the availability of products like Wine, including
    commercial value-added versions of Wine, as well as
    hypervisors/emulators like VMWare (Win/Linux), Parallels Workstation
    (Mac OSX), and QEMU / Q (various platforms), the barrier to accessing
    utilities such as Unibook 5.1 on all modern platforms is fairly low.

    - Ed Trager