RE: Optimus keyboard in the news

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 15:51:12 CST

    De Marnen Laibow-Koser:

    > On Apr 27, 2007, at 11:31 PM, Don Osborn wrote:
    >
    > > The "Optimus Maximus" keyboard that has been in the works since
    > > mid-2005(?)
    > > is apparently going to be a reality later this year (orders being
    > > accepted
    > > beginning May 20; first deliveries in Nov.) for a price - over US
    > > $1500.
    > >

    > I've had my eye on these things for a while. Glad to hear they're
    > actually being released!
    >
    > (Yes, I look forward to not having to squint at Keyboard Viewer.)
    >
    > Does anyone else recall Donald Norman predicting this in the late
    > 1980s, in The Psychology of Everyday Things? It's nice to know that
    > the technology finally caught up with the UI dreams.

    Wasn't it announced last year?

    Well. This is not a significant change, because this just makes one of the
    most expensive computing devices, for use only by some rich geek... who does
    not know where to put his money! Even a real geek would find or build much
    less expensive solutions!

    It won't solve any issue in the linguistic division of the world for
    "minorities" that don't have access to modern communication systems.

    Notably because I have serious doubt that anyone who is rich enough to buy
    such keyboard really has a serious problem to communicate on the Internet or
    to use a word processor with his language!

    So may be there will be some new rich Chinese businessman that will give it
    a try, but who else?