RE: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 10:46:54 CST

    Adam Twardoch
    > Envoyé : jeudi 3 mai 2007 13:52
    > À : Unicode List
    > Objet : Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)
    >
    > Ivo Gabrowitsch reports on his blog that Andreas Stötzner successfully
    > convinced the ISO 10646 working group that uppercase ß should be added
    > to Unicode/ISO 10646. U+1E9E is the envisioned codepoint.
    >
    > Blog entry:
    > http://www.fontwerk.com/451/kommt-jetzt-das-versal-eszett/
    >
    > More links:
    > http://www.signographie.de/cms/signa_9.htm (published by Andreas Stötzner)
    > http://www.typografie.info/typowiki/index.php?title=Versal-Eszett
    > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versal-Eszett
    >
    > Some German type designers posted some of their design proposals for an
    > uppercase ß at:
    > http://www.typeforum.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread
    > &tid=353
    >
    > I find most of these design proposals structurally flawed -- they don’t
    > look like uppercase letters. They look like lowercase letters enlarged
    > to match uppercase. The graphical structure of the Roman uppercase is
    > very different from lowercase.

    You have not seen all the proposals (some of them have been refined
    typographically to match some graphical features of other uppercase letters,
    for example the angle of straight strokes, or their relaive weight);

    And you may not have seen the proposal that is mostly like a "SS" pair
    ligatured at the top.

    There are various designs, but I see no flaw in them, they are unambiguously
    uppercase, and shown along with other uppercase letters in the same font
    style.