Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Frank Ellermann (nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 03:36:08 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    >> That's complete rubbish, there's no such thing as an "upper case ß".
    >> DIN would be dissolved by law if they'd ever support this nonsense.

    > Well, what you say simply isn't true.

    I'll see to it to make it true. I'm pretty sure that Duden and/or
    the German government will find a way to inform me when they intend
    to "invent" new characters for my language, and that didn't happen
    in this case.

    If some "script kiddies" (pun intended) want to use "upper case ß",
    Shavian, or similar artwork it's fine, but they're not free to say
    that it's a real "upper case ß", common practice, or in any remote
    sense a desirable invention.

    It would break each and every existing software supporting German,
    it would cause a damage in the order of the W2K upgrade (limited
    to one language, but still), it's just madness.

    > But you don't have to use it if you don't want.

    That's a kind offer, but I prefer to hold DIN responsible for this
    abuse of their power - even without checking I'm confident that
    they're not supposed to promote such dangerous ideas _by law_

    Frank