Re: Optimus keyboard in the news

From: tim@higgys4.com
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 08:37:43 CST

    Hi All:

        Here is an alternative that does switch languages on the fly that addresses many of the concerns of lower cost, larger displays that are not embedded in the keys, new ways of doing CJK (eg, direct creation and editing of CJ characters using brushstrokes with no need to index into libraries of pre-made characters), a full numeric keypad, all arrow (and other editing keys of a standard PC keyboard), etc.

        Please see www.neokeys.com a multimedia presentation (in 8 languages) for the keypad implemented in a mobile phone context (you can switch languages using the flag selection at the bottom of the home page). Also, you can download (from the software page of www.yuvee.com) a trial version for free of a multi-language virtual keypad for your desktop that will switch among a number of languages and enter each in Word documents (and do pictograph creation and editing as an abstraction of the CJ character entry), and that gives some sample fonts of pure brushstrokes. (It only works on MS OS at this time.)

        It is a different format entirely than the standard QWERTY keyboard - but some folks in this email stream were starting to question that format although I know it is a difficult one to broach), but that is intentional so that it fits easily in mobile devices that are far more frequently used in many parts of the world that do not speak or write in English.

        It uses a mode-switching paradigm that has proved to be very highly effective in usability testing. Interestingly, it involves the challenge of analyzing languages based on a base-12 format.

        I am only replying because the line of discussion was directly related to what we are working on, and it seemed that people might be interested in other non-QWERTY keypads that implement a "hybrid" physical key/dynamic display approach. We are developing this not only because of the text entry issues, but also to address the issue of "command" entry in multi-function mobile devices, handheld remotes and other contexts that are arising.

    Best,

    Tim