Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 14:41:59 CST

    Karl Pentzlin wrote:

    > All lower case letters (at least of the original Latin alphabet)
    > have developed as glyph variants of the original (now uppercase)
    > letters. Now, these letters are encoded with assigned case properties.
    > If these properties were not there, one can argue that c is simply a
    > glyph variant of C to the same extent that uppercase-ß is discussed
    > to be a glyph variant of lowercase-ß. But the lowercase-ß is
    > has the lowercase property. This alone makes an uppercase-ß a different
    > character, as it has the uppercase property. Ihe similarity of the
    > common ß glyphs are not more relevant than the similarity of the common c
    > glyphs (which tends to be even stronger).

    But it is an uppercase letter that, per force, has no casing relationship to the lowercase
    letter, so it is an uppercase letter that does not behave like an uppercase letter.
    Indeed, why not propose also a new lowercase character that does, in fact, have a casing
    relationship to this uppercase glyph, so that there is a fully functional orthographic
    parallel for people who believe that ß should have an uppercase form? Since the proposed
    uppercase character is explicitly excluded from normal German text processing, why not
    give it its own lowercase pair?

    Unless, of course, it is actually a glyph variant of SS. :)

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com