Re: Uppercase is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 16:40:43 CST

    On May 4, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
    [...]
    > I think lots of Latin-script clever-font display trickery is
    > unnecessary and less preferable to character encoding.

    Each has its uses, I think. When to use which is largely a question
    of whether glyph variation or character difference is at issue --
    which is precisely what we are discussing here.

    > But then I think that most of the lower-case Latin letters in the
    > standard which are missing upper-case pairs should be given their
    > upper case pairs.

    I agree in most cases. FWIW, Cyrillic script has had a slightly
    parallel situation. In older Russian grammars, when the uppercase
    and lowercase alphabets are presented, one often finds lowercase ъ,
    ы, and ь shown without corresponding uppercase letters, presumably
    because these letters cannot begin a word in Russian and so would
    never be capitalized in running text. However, the uppercase
    variants are indisputably necessary for all-caps text -- no one would
    dream of writing НЕФТь, ЦыГАН, or СъЕЗД for
    НЕФТЬ, ЦЫГАН, and СЪЕЗД. (There are also some Central
    Asian languages in which initial ы is possible.)

    I do not know if the Cyrillic situation is parallel to what we are
    now looking at with ß. I bring it up merely as the closest similar
    situation I can think of.

    > --

    Best,

    --