Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Frank Ellermann (nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de)
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 11:33:51 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:

    >> we have already collected some facts about this
    >> "misbegotten character", as John put it

    > Actually, it was Marnen who used that term. I was
    > quoting.

    ACK, I confused it.

    > I don't think the character is misbegotten. I
    > think it is something like half-begotten.

    Peter roughly managed that I should drop "fictitious",
    and "misbegotten" sounded nice. But "half-begotten"
    is also okay. It's IMO not the job of Unicode to
    "fix" the admittedly odd szlig, you'll only end up
    making it worse. The szlig at least exists in some
    legacy charsets, rules about sorting, and similar
    sources, the "half-begotten" SZlig is only artwork.

    Frank