Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 17:13:38 CDT

    At 13:34 -0700 2007-05-07, John Hudson wrote:

    >Having spent the last half hour sketching
    >uppercase eszett forms based on trying to
    >crowbar the lowercase form into the proportions
    >of uppercase letters, I'm inclined to think that
    >this is a thoroughly rotten approach to creating
    >an uppercase letter. Relatively few Latin
    >uppercase letters look like big versions of
    >their lowercase counterparts, and there are
    >sound graphic reasons for this that can be
    >deduced from palaeography.

    See
    http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/sharp-s.png
    where I have given an F, J, U, ß, long-s, and two
    capital sharp esses. The second of these is the
    one under ballot, made in discussion with Andreas
    Stötzner, who suggested taking the stroke and
    curve of the U and the finial of a J. I don't
    find it unpleasant or inappropriate. I tried
    hacking one based on an F but I like the U-based
    one better.