RE: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 00:28:01 CDT

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Kenneth Whistler

    > The argumentation is *essentialist* in nature: uppercase [ß] *is*
    > a letter, not a ligature, *therefore* it *must* be encoded as a
    > character.

    I've been thinking this for the past several days: there isn't an independent basis to say it is or isn't a character; it is if we agree to say it is. Some have already crossed that mental bridge and have it so far behind them they don't even question a claim of characterhood; others have not cross that bridge, indeed are so far away they don't even see it.

    > I would like them to at least consider the parallel with folks
    > who have been arguing for years, for example, that "ksa" in
    > Devanagari *is* a letter, and therefore must be encoded as a
    > character.

    There is a key difference that doesn't make Devanagari "ksa" a good parallel: there isn't a small "ksa" that stands in an obvious paired relationship and that is already encoded.

    Peter