Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 07:43:40 CDT

    Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

    > Oddly enough -- and I know this may be off topic -- I think the SS
    > symbol should maybe make it into Unicode. Nazi-era German typewriters
    > tend to have it as a glyph of its own, on a separate key. So it may be
    > needed for proper encoding of Nazi-era documents. I wonder.
    I think it's been suggested, and given the importance given the glyphs
    during the Nazi era I think you are correct. Typewriters and typefaces
    in Germany had to support the symbol, it *was* a character in existence
    at the time, and Unicode supports historic characters.

    When this has been suggested, the answer usually given is that this is
    to be considered a pair of (variant) U+16CB RUNIC LETTER SIGEL
    LONG-BRANCH-SOL S (ᛋ). I think that was the rune suggested.

    Similarly, years ago, I noted that I thought—and still think—that the
    Nazi swastika should be encoded, for similar historic reasons. It was
    not just an important symbol of the times, but I seem to think it found
    its way into text uses as well (as a dingbat, to be sure, but still used).

    I don't think I could be the one to propose it, though.

    ~mark