RE: Adding Lowercase Letters (was: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E))

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 14:57:55 CDT

    Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > I am not sure if the definition in TUS of case folding is mandatory -
    > dotless 'i' and dotted 'I' are described as 'an exception', as though
    > there might be other exceptions.

    The special casing rules for turkish do apply to the effect of case mappings
    to lowercase or to uppercase or to titlecase. But do they apply to the case
    folding (which is different from lowercase mapping)?

    I'd like also to find a precise reply to this question:
    Are the strings resulting from a case mapping to uppercase (or to lowercase,
    or to titlecase) required to have the same case folding? Id est:

    Are we guaranteed to have, with existing normative Unicode definitions and
    stability rules, for every string S in a locale L, the following equalities
    starting at some current orpast version of the Unicode standard and in all
    future versions:

    toCaseFold(toLowerCase(S, L), L)
    = toCaseFold(toUpperCase(S, L), L)
    = toCaseFold(toTitleCase(S, L), L)

    Are there existing exceptions? If so, are they bugs in the UCD to be
    corrected? Are there strong consistency checks in each Unicoide release to
    verify this?