Re: The glyph of the CAPITAL SHARP S

From: Henrik Theiling (theiling@absint.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 12:39:37 CDT

    Hi!

    Michael Everson writes:
    > Andreas Stötzner wrote:
    > > As for the code chart I strongly recommend to stick to the glyph
    > > presented by DIN on p.1 of the proposal (N3227r) for this choice is
    > > a result from considerations based on extensive historical and
    > > graphical research, undertaken by myself and others.
    >
    > Well, we cannot just pop in an Andron glyph into the code charts,
    > which is why I have been exploring designs for the Times-like font I
    > am using. The glyph 3f in my document is a Dresden glyph as you
    > recommend.

    Principally, yes. But the details are so different that I actually
    prefer Andreas's 3.a over my favourites in your list, 3a-3c.

    Andreas's 3.a glyph looks much more like an upper case letter than
    your 3f glyph, because the 3.a top curve is shorter than in 3f and
    does not go back down so far, and the slope connecting to it is
    longer. Further, for good balance, the bottom curve of 3.a descends
    slightly -- of course in both fonts, this is just like the capital S,
    but together with the additional left stem it looks more balanced
    in 3.a.

    **Henrik