Re: Ethiopic short i / short e

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 10:52:26 CDT

    On May 15, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Daniel Yacob wrote:

    > Samuel,
    >
    >> Out of curiosity, do such editing errors happen so often in such
    >> documents?
    >
    > Probably since the beginning of attempts to write about Ethiopic in
    > western literature.

    I wouldn't be all that surprised. There is a table of Greek prosodic
    accents in Grove's Dictionary of Music (a standard reference work)
    which baffled me, because they looked nothing like the Greek accents
    I was familiar with, until I realized that the entire column of
    accent symbols had been rotated 180 degrees much as was done with the
    Ethiopic letters.

    > Daniel

    Best,

    --