Re: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 23:49:06 CDT

    Brian Wilson wrote:

    > 1. Does this mean that my problem can not be solved by unicode and that I
    > need to go to a different level?

    Yes, this is an issue for Lao layout engine and Lao font developers.

    > 2. Does anyone have contact information to the MS, Apple people and John
    > Hudson?

    I'm here, as is Peter Constable from MS, who would be the correct person to contact there.
    I'm not sure who would be responsible at Apple, but John Jenkins from their font group is
    here.

    What I can do is help ensure that Microsoft and other layout engine folk understand your
    request (I'm sure Peter gets it already), and spread the word on some OpenType developer
    forums to advise Lao and Thai font makers how to handle this. But in order provide such
    advice we first need to determine what character codes should be used to encode the
    alternative bases for Lao and Thai marks.

    This reminds me that I also have a request for similar alternative bases to be added to
    Hebrew layout engines.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com