Re: Hebrew generic base

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 16:22:52 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Can we agree on the terminology to adopt when referring to these characters?
    > "generic base" or "generic base symbols" (as they are not intended to be
    > letters but used as a distinct notation to be replaced by actual letters).

    I would call them simply generic bases, because while they might be said to stand in for
    letters, their primary function is to provide a base for the combining marks. When I
    employ such a character, I don't think of it as a stand-in symbol for a letter, but as a
    conventional base for a combining mark or marks.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com