RE: Hebrew generic base

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 16:42:17 CDT

    John Hudson [mailto:john@tiro.ca]
    > My inclination would be to specify a set of generic base characters that
    > could be used in any font for any script and any language, and allow the
    > particulars to be worked out at
    > the font level.

    If you just consider the case of the cross base used in Lao, or the
    underline base used in Lao, they are indeed easily confusable in
    Latin/Greek/Cyrillic for the former (with letter x), and in Arabic (with the
    shaddah).

    We can't safely assume that generic bases will work in all scripts and all
    languages, including those that are still unencoded but will use combining
    diacritics...