Re: [hebrew] Re: Karaite manuscript

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2007 - 14:01:47 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > “archigraphemes” as you call them,
    > but I’m not sure this is a correct term for English, as “archi-“ is
    > another prefix with another meaning to mark emphasis, stronger than
    > “super-” and quite similar to “hyper-“)

    The prefix archi- means first in order or authority, principal, chief. In the terminology
    of hierarchical structures it generally implies higher authority (archbishop, archduke,
    etc.) but in many other situations it simply implies primary or principal, e.g. architype.

    Tom uses the term archigrapheme as a direct parallel to archiphoneme, which is used in
    some linguistic analysis.

    > i.e. the skeletons (without the
    > normally required markers), and possibly too, the markers themselves,
    > separately ?

    An archigrapheme is not identical to the skeleton -- it is a unit of recognition, not a
    unit of writing --, but for practical purposes the skeleton is how archigraphemes are
    represented.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com