RE: UAX#14-20: undesriable line breaking opportunities (parenthese and quotation marks)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 03:42:30 CDT

    To complement what I said:
    > Now suppose that punctuatuon pairs (OP and CL) are used in sequence :
    > I1 OP I2 CL I3
    > The line-breaking should now be prohibited between OP and I2 and between
    > I2 and CL, however it should not be prohibited between I1 and OP and
    > between CL and I3. In other words:
    > I1 ÷ OP × I2 × CL ÷ I3

    This case will include some punctuation marks that are often used as
    punctuation pairs, so this will include the left and right single quotation
    marks that are ALSO used sometimes as letters or as apostrophes. They should
    still apply even if these punctuations are not used in pairs.

    If this rule is used, then the special cases for apostrophes in French and
    Italian (but not only them) will remain. This exception provided should be
    allowed for the refined LB30 rule I suggest.