Re: New Corrigendum to The Unicode Standard

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 09:31:32 CDT

    On 8/17/2007 6:48 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 06:38 -0400 2007-08-17, Behnam wrote:
    >
    >> This property should be removed from all characters such as
    >> parentheses and brackets etc. as well. Backward compatibility is just
    >> a matter of 'find and replace' if need be.
    >> Get rid of mirrors all together. It's a bad idea.
    The time for such radical changes was during the very early development
    stages of Unicode. Now, even minor alignments of such properties can
    cause major dislocations: it's not a matter of search and replace,
    because that assumes the reader views a document in an editing context
    and is willing (and able) to actually modify it. It affects web pages
    and lots of other, non-editable contents.

    One of the key lessons of Unicode is that, while software may get
    patched (in certain situations), *data* is permanent, which requires
    reanalysis.

    > I have to say, I find the behaviour of mirroring punctuation to be
    > generally irritating. Even in a simple programme for DVD titles the
    > title and transliteration of some Persian behaves unexpectedly.
    That's an implementation bug - as long as mirroring is consistently
    applied between authoring environment and the time you are viewing the
    text, then you should not be able to notice it, even. It should just work.

    A./