RE: New Corrigendum to The Unicode Standard

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 22:49:29 CDT

    > part de Asmus Freytag
    > Envoyé : mardi 21 août 2007 09:31
    > À : verdy_p@wanadoo.fr
    > Cc : unicode@unicode.org
    > Objet : Re: New Corrigendum to The Unicode Standard
    >
    > On 8/18/2007 7:27 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > >
    > > Can we say somewhere that Unicode 5.0 without the corrigendum is no
    > > more compliant,
    > >
    > Who's the 'we' here?

    Don't know, anyone that considers this being important.

    > The Unicode Standard (and website) make very clear that a corrigendum
    > does not actually modify a version.

    It does so in this corrigendum, because the BiDi UAX is fully part of the
    standard, making Unicode 5.0.0 without corrigendum incompatible with Unicode
    5.0.0 with this corrigendum 6 for the BiDi algorithm.

    That's why I suggested an easy way to designate versions with or without
    corrigenda. OK "d" is taken by drafts, lets' use "c" for corrigendum level,
    this does not change the problem.

    So the Unicode 5.0.0 book without corrigendum would be 5.0.0c0, and with
    corrigendum 6, it would be 5.0.0c6

    As opposed to version major and minor numbers, the upward compatibility is
    not guaranteed between two successive corrigenda, in fact each corrigenda is
    creating its own branch, and the lowest corrigendum level is already out of
    the trunk in the compatibility tree, only the highest corrigendum level is
    in the trunk, versions in the branches are not mutually compatible, but the
    nearest from the trunk has the lowest cvompatibilitydifferences with it, so:

    (Latest)
      || 5.0.0c0 (TUS 5.0.0 book, without the corrigenda)
      || |
      || 5.0.0c1
      || |
      || 5.0.0c2
      || |
      || 5.0.0c3
      || |
      || 5.0.0c4
      || |
      || 5.0.0c5
      || |
    5.0.0c6 |
      || |
      |+--------+
    4.1.0c0 (has no corrigendum)
      || 4.0.1c0 (TUS 4.0.1, without the corrigenda)
      || |
      || 4.0.1c1
      || |
      || 4.0.1c2
      || |
      || 4.0.1c3
      || |
      || 4.0.1c4
      || |
    4.0.1c5
    4.0.0c0 (TUS 4.0.0 book, has no corrigendum)

    And so on...