RE: Normalization in panlingual application

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2007 - 21:01:01 CDT

    Asmus Freytag wrote:
    > The "K" series of normalization forms, by default, just "k"orrupt the
    data.

    I do agree with that, but I wonder why NFKC/NFKD have been integrated within
    the standard for conformance, given that it causes many wellknown problems.
    It should at best have been just a non-mandatory recommendation, allowing
    tailoring (even IDN no longer refers to it directly, and needed to redefine
    its own foldings).

    Anyway, why is NFKD/NFKC frozen as well as the compatibility mappings in the
    UCD? Making these unmutable with the stability policy was not necessary. For
    me, such mappings in the UCD are just informative, to document why these
    compatibility characters were also encoded separately and how they differ
    from the other characters referenced by the mapping.

    NFKC/NFKD forms should have been specified like other foldings, even less
    normative than case mappings/foldings (that cause much less problems). It's
    not even goodasit does not preserve linguistic differences, generates severe
    corruption of texts, and is not tailorable.