Re: New Public Review Issue: Proposed Update UTS #18

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 07:11:25 CDT

    Tricky? Perhaps so, Mark, but solutions are the name of the game. In
    any case, we need to add CH as a single letter in both Welsh and
    Breton, C'H as a single letter in Breton, FF as a single letter in
    Welsh, NG as a single letter in Welsh, etc., in all implementations.
    mg

    On 24 Sep 2007, at 20:52, scríobh Mark Davis:

    > On the comment on "feasible" -- I think the reference there was to
    > language/locale-sensitive regex. That involves a few things which
    > are quite tricky, and are thus listed under Level 3 in UTS#18.
    > sensitivity: "aa" matches a-ring in Danish
    > language-sensitive ordering ranges: [a-z] doesn't include o-slash
    > in Danish
    > language-sensitive grapheme clusters: a dot matches "ch" in Slovak
    > Few implementations try to handle locale-sensitivity except for
    > POSIX (and that has significant problems in it). I wouldn't say
    > that they are infeasible, but they are tricky.

    - -
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
    27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
    Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.