Re: Needs help identifying script

From: 'Mark E. Shoulson' (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 22:02:04 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
    >
    >> Well, it's definitely an old Semitic. Though it looks a little more
    >> Aramaic than Samaritan/Hebrew. It looks rather like what you see on
    >> some old coins, but I'm not expert enough to pin down the exact period.
    >>
    >> Let me see if I can make out some words, I'll write if I can.
    >>

    > The presence of the 7-branch candelar and the cup is a string indication
    > that it has some Samaritan or Hebrew origin, but it does not necessarily
    > means that it is written in those languages.

    No, but the presence of Semitic-looking letters does sort of lean one's
    opinion in that direction...
    > For me the bottom part of the stone (below the horizontal line of dots) is
    > not the same script as the part above. There may even be as much as 4
    > scripts on this stone, possibly showing the same text translated.

    I don't buy it; I'm not convinced they're different scripts.
    > So, for me it looks like an ancestral form of Georgian or Armenian (in the
    > middle), or a mix of several scripts (like a Rosette stone). The top part
    > (around the candelar) is probably more archaic than the bottom part which
    > shows more regular glyph forms, and looks like some evolved cuneiform or
    > proto-semitic script.

    Fascinating. A cuneiform that evolved into ordinary letters like the
    YOD, TAV, MEM, etc that I see...
    > Not everyting is text, there are decorations on the sides and bottom (a
    > olive tree branch?), the top (stars, suns?)... The right side is severely
    > altered (I think it contained a tree branch too)
    >
    > It's hard to see the letter forms due to the important glares and lack of
    > contrast... Is it made of stone or leather?

    The picture was introduced to us as "script details of some lead
    plates." So they could be made out of anything, really. Even lead.

    ~mark