Re: Fish (was Re: Marks)

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 22:08:54 CDT

    On Sep 28, 2007, at 9:01 PM, William J Poser wrote:

    >> And I wonder why you would need to hide it. Because of some US =
    >> "churches" that spread antidarwinism, reject evolution (against
    >> all scientists) and even militate against teaching it in US schools?
    >> Do you fear antievolutionists in US so much that you'd need to
    >> use mystic symbols to defend science?
    >
    > I'm not sure how "hiding" came up. The Darwin fish is used, primarily
    > on bumper stickers, by people of scientific orientation who are
    > opposed to Christian antievolutionism.

    My guess is that Philippe's point was that the Christian fish was
    originally a secret sign (because of Roman persecution); a similar
    situation doesn't apply for the Darwin fish today. I'm not sure
    that's relevant to encoding, though.

    My favorite use of these things was on the car of a friend of mine.
    He was a church organist and a biology professor, and had a Christian
    fish on one corner of his car, and a Darwin fish on the other.

    Now, the *real* April Fool's joke would be someone proposing CTHULHU
    FISH SYMBOL (yes, I've seen them!)...

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser