RE: Fish (was Re: Marks)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 13:11:37 CDT

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

    > In what way are they dependent on the *theological* aspects of
    > Christianity, rather than on other aspects of its engagement with the
    > world?

    Because it was the view that God is a rational being and that we, his creatures, can grow in understanding of the reasoning in his works that led to the rationalist mindset that expects growth and progress in the world materially and in our understanding of creation and the creator.

    The sociologist Richard Stark discusses this in detail in his book _Victory of Reason_.

    Peter