Re: New Public Review Issue: Proposed Update UTS #18

From: Mike (mike-list@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 17:13:49 CST

> Here the explicit use of "\q{ch}" adds the collation element {ch} to the
> default alphabet, at end of the "." universe, so "." becomes
> (?:[\x{0}-\x{10FFF}|\q{ch})...

I don't think that merely putting \q{ch} in a character class should
have the side effect of adding that to the list of what "." matches.

I agree that it would be useful to be able to add "ch" to what "."
matches, but it should be a deliberate act with its own syntax.

> So a regexp /ch/ or /\q{ch}/ matches the same
> thing, the former being more efficient than the second one because it does
> not alter the input universe.

The \q{} syntax is only valid (or needed) within square brackets, so
/\q{ch}/ is not a valid regular expression. Again, merely using \q
should not have side effects.

Mike