Re[2]: Root and fraction (2 new symbols)

From: Dmitry Turin (unicode20@narod.ru)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2007 - 02:18:26 CST

    Asmus,

    AF> Actually, the main point of these is to recommend which strings of
    AF> symbols to use to express a particular mathematical semantics.
    +1 for 'particular'

    AF> That makes it feasible to render (simple) formulae directly from plain text.
    +1 for 'simple'

    AF> The linear format introduces several conventions that handle things like
    AF> scoping, super and subscripting in a way that keeps the raw text very
    AF> close to the plain text
    What is the difference between "raw text" and "plain text" ?

    AF> Similar conventions are used in other plain text context, from using
    AF> punctuation for emoticons to the use of paired * _ or / to indicate
    AF> styled text.
    What is the "emoticons" ?

    >>> Plain text is used in _all_ type of documents
    >>> (biologistic one, economistic one, texts of schoolchildren),
    >>> and manufactorers of software must be prevented from embeding of
    >>> _particular_ markup language into all system.
    >> So you want to force software developers to use a plain text encoding
    >> standard for *layout* to prevent them from using markup standards?
    >> This doesn't seem to me to be a good idea.
    AF> Actually, there's nothing inherently wrong if certain software
    AF> interprets such near-plain text conventions.
    Thank you.

    AF> If text display software wants to autorecognize math expressions and display
    AF> them according to the linear format, that would be just fine - as long
    AF> as it's optional
    It can be optional for signs of root and fraction,
    but i must be obligatory for signs of indexes (top and bottom),
    limits (top and bottom), and for sign 'return', which returns
    to previous level in complex index-limit's construction.

    Dmitry Turin
    Unicode2 (2.1.1) http://unicode2.chat.ru
    HTML6 (6.4.2) http://html60.chat.ru
    SQL4 (4.4.0) http://sql40.chat.ru