RE: Fish (was Re: Marks)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 21:39:56 CST

    Beside these amusements for corporate logos, where is the basic fish symbol
    without the countless decorations, and minimum religious binding, Kenneth?

    If you look at the logos of many companies, you'll see many classic letters
    or symbols transformed (or used with specific layout) this way. This is just
    a matter of style (and very specific styles).

    On the opposite, open your newspaper and look within the classified ads for
    dead persons or official governmental announcements: there are countless
    symbols used inline. Open a phone diary, or a dictionnary or an
    encyclopedia, or tourist guides, and many generic symbols are also used and
    easily recognizable (they correspond to indications found in maps, on road
    indicators, and so on...)

    If you look at the collections of symbols used in the systems and databases
    of newspaper editors or books publishers, you'll see they all have a very
    large "logotheque" (even if you exclude the copyrighted logos that they
    store and index from their most frequent customers, some of which being
    shared across several publishers or advertising companies in the same
    country that are constantly interchanging plain-text data mixed with those
    symbols through specific gateways or common applications).

    Visit the main agency of your local newspaper editor, you'd be surprised to
    see all the many things they have (most of them inherited from the past
    andused since decennials if not more than a century) and that they have
    adapted more or less successfully to the newer computing technologies. On
    the opposite, the largest libraries are much more conservative, and often
    need much less features (they are interested into creating indexes of their
    book collections, but don't need to reproduce in their systems allthe tricky
    things found in each item of their collections; if needed, they will just
    use a scanner and will index scanned images).

    I would be curious to see how the new BNF in Paris has converted its old
    collections after moving their collections to the newer large library in the
    1990's (I'm more used to what newspaper and book publishers are doing, even
    the smallest ones), but I'm quite sure that they did not need to index every
    symbol and every letter of the books or magazines they are storing and
    indexing in their catalogs.