Re: [Flags] Heraldic art d.o.o.

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 10:30:48 CDT

    On 2007.10.20, 11:09, Ivan Sarajèiæ wrote:

    > And shall we add op]ina RU@|]
    > http://www.heraldic-art.hr/images/ostali-proizvodi/ostali-proizvodi_f23.jpg
    > :)
    > (interesting error)

    Yep. In spite of this entity's commendable and obvious competence in
    Heraldry and Vexillology, someone has to give them advice on both image
    file formats (exporting flags and emblems to .jpg?!) and software
    localization: I guess that "op]ina RU@I]" should have been "opèina RUŽIÆ",
    right?

    Anyway, this mistake would never have been commited to cloth because this
    is a Croat designers' outfit issuing manufactoring specs for a Croat
    client. But if it were, say, a Thai manufactor producing for the, say,
    Nunavut market, such mistake would go unchecked and someone would have to
    dispose of a countainer full of flags with "%#&$#@" instead of Canadian
    Sylabics text (such as <ca-nu-iq.html>).

    This not only proves that text should not be used as an element of flag
    design ;-) but especially illustrates quite well the importance of good
    Unicode-aware software in a globalized market.

    (BTW, our page <hr-si-rz.html> is also an example of this problem — and if
    Heraldic art d.o.o. can excuse themselves that the upgrade of their Adobe
    Illustrator to a Unicode-aware version is too cotsly, FotW cannot argue
    that typing "&#269;" and "&#263;" instead of "c'" is an additional
    burden.)

    --
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin                                            ____.
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>                                          |  ()|