Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 07:59:30 CDT

    Simon Montagu wrote:
    > Michael Everson wrote:
    >> At 23:14 +0100 2007-10-24, Andrew West wrote:
    >>
    >>> And I guess that there are a few of us on this list who would
    >>> say that fully supporting OE is absolutely required for English as a
    >>> whole.
    >>
    >> Of course it is. I learnt OE in secondary school. Surely that is
    >> "ordinary" enough.
    >
    > What does that prove? I learned Classical Greek in secondary school.
    > Does that mean that fully supporting polytonic Greek is absolutely
    > required for English as a whole?
    I suppose I should mention that I learned pointed Hebrew in *primary*
    school, since nursery and kindergarten. And some of the public schools
    near me are teaching some Chinese at young grades too.

    All of which is neither here nor there; Greek and Hebrew and Chinese, no
    matter when they are taught, are not part of an education in English.
    However, it could be argued that OE is. Still, does this make it
    "ordinary"?

    ~mark