Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 21:14:31 CDT

    In 10/25/07, vunzndi@vfemail.net <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
    > I aaware that the original aim of unicode was to have all 'useful'
    > characters in the BMP. However as far as CJKV characters are concerned
    > this has not been done, rather characters have been added on a first
    > come first serve basis.

    The character set standards of China, Taiwan, Japan and Korea were
    completely included in the BMP. The sets of characters that computer
    users of CJKV characters were actually using are all in the BMP. That
    was not a first come, first serve policy. Unicode continued to add the
    characters that the standards bodies of those nations thought were
    important to the BMP for several years. It was not a first come, first
    serve basis.

    > If the allocation of CJKV codepoints continues
    > to be donr in this way, then for modern CJKV coverage will require not
    > only BMP and plane 1 support but also, in the future, plane 3 suport.

    (Should be plane 2, BTW.)

    If it continues to be done in what way? They currently have teams of
    experts sorting through the body of writing in Han ideographs, finding
    new distinct ideographs, and identifying what most needs encoding.
    Short of God handing the next set of Han ideographs down from Mt.
    Sinai on stone tablets, I don't know what improvements can be made.