Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 11:30:11 CST

     For me the encoded IDC are not different from symbols, or
    from mathematical operators.
    So trying to display an IDS differently would be exactly the same kind of
    process as transforming, when rendering, the mathematical operation
    "a*(x+y)" into "a*x+a*y".
    Here's another way to look at this:

    IDSs are a convention that can be represented in plain text, just as much of
    mathematics can, according to UTN#28 Unicode Nearly Plain-Text Encoding of Mathematics.
    Both conventions can be rendered as "source" or in some more final form.

    Another term for 'special convention' is "lightweight markup". I believe that
    describes the IDSs really well. One unusual feature is that the operators use
    dedicated characters, instead of assigning a convention to characters that
    have other, ordinary usages. But then, mathematics contains enough dedicated
    characters....

    In any case, there is an implied higher level protocol. If sender and receiver
    agree to interpret the plain text as a convention, they can expect the advanced
    rendering - if not, plain text rendering will happen.

    A./