Re: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs (was Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: Mike (mike-list@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 23:34:09 CST

    >> If we were to encode it now on Ben's word that he needs it, and he dies
    >> before achieving the fame that he undoubtedly deserves, Unicode will
    >> be lumbered ever after with a character that nobody needs.
    >
    > I hope that you are not wishing that I pass away any time soon.
    >
    > Seriously though, out of the over a million code points, not one could
    > be given for my surname?

    I can sympathize with your desire to spell your name correctly. My
    last name is Italian -- D'Errico -- and I have had trouble with it
    my entire life. There are many computer systems that won't accept
    it, despite every character being representable in pure ASCII. Not
    one of my credit cards shows the apostrophe; American Express used
    to, but after an "upgrade" they issued me a new card without it.
    Often I end up getting (junk) mail for Michael D. Errico. It makes
    for easy sorting to the circular file. ;-)

    Just wanted to point out that being able to write your name using
    Unicode isn't a panacea.

    Mike