RE: Stix beta fonts released

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 22:51:20 CST

    Basically for a math font to work with Word 2007, all the math characters and glyph variants need to be in a single font. We’re dreaming about how that might be accomplished with the STIX fonts. The idea is to have STIXGeneral.otf contain all the math alphanumerics (including the italic and/or bold math alphanumerics), the various size parentheses, brackets, and other delimiters, as well as the script and scriptscript sizes needed for subscripts and superscripts. It appears as if most of these characters and glyph variants are contained in the STIX fonts, so hopefully it’s just a matter of collecting them into a single font.

    I was able to make STIXGeneral.otf work in a Word 2007 math zone so long as I only used math Fraktur and ASCII characters. But this is just a tempting suggestion of what one wants to have.

    Thanks
    Murray