Re: Codespace Anxiety Redux

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 02:48:42 CST

    Kenneth,

    -On [20071101 22:46], Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com) wrote:
    >Once again, just in time for the holidays, the Unicode list
    >has come around again to one of its perennial favorite topics:
    >how 17 planes isn't enough codespace, how software will
    >break when we "inevitably" run out of codes for characters,
    >and what a shame it is to be stuck with such a limited
    >and architecturally flawed construct, given all the 30 bezillion
    >unencoded characters waiting to be encoded.

    One thing I am interested in though is the following:

    we know that in the current implementation of Unicode we have a lot of cruft
    resulting from wrong data, typos and whatnot that never gets removed due to
    the nature/charter of Unicode.

    Ultimately the desire will arise to take what we know is (mostly) correct in
    Unicode, clear all the unwanted cruft and start fresh from that point.

    Has there been any thought given from within Unicode (in the broadest sense)
    about this?

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    Haste makes waste...