Re: Abkhasian pe with descender?

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2007 - 16:59:57 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > No, because the standard distinguishes between GHE WITH MIDDLE HOOK
    > and GHE WITH DESCENDER.

    So what's your solution?

    With the only difference between the [Lomtatidze] and [Chirikba] styles
    being that pe and ghe have middle hooks vs. descenders, and with no
    known case of contrast between the two, it seems to me that, in the
    context of Abkhaz, we are better saying this is a glyph difference, and
    we can avoid fragmenting the representation of text for a relatively
    small community. [Linguarium] has settled on U+04A7 and U+0495, and I
    followed that for the UDHR.

    I have obtained a scan of Bgazhba, by the way (thanks to Debbie Anderson).

    Eric.