Re: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 16:23:31 CST

    On 21/11/2007, James Kass <thunder-bird@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Here's a web page that has no problem displaying classic Mongolian
    > script as right-to-left (even when embedded into Latin text):

    Well, of course there is no problem when the Mongolian text is
    embedded as images and not as text.

    > http://mehmeteti.150m.com/ilkhanids/hpags-pa.htm

    (Incidentally, I know this page and its author, and the so-called
    Phags-pa inscriptions on the coins shown here are definitely not
    written in the Phags-pa script -- there is an unfortunate tendency for
    oriental numismatists to label any unidentified script as Phags-pa.)

    > The web page author introduces the page with a note that the Mongolian
    > script is being displayed RTL so as to be in harmony with the Arabic
    > script display.

    Which is weird given that I can't see any Arabic on this page. But on
    the other hand it does make sense to display the Mongolian text RTL so
    that it corresponds to the directionality of the inscriptions on the
    coins (of course the coins could be rotated 180 degrees and LTR
    Mongolian used instead).

    Of course, in these cases Mongolian is best fit substitute forthe as
    yet unencoded Old Uyghur script, which was written both RTL and TTB.

    Andrew