Re: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 17:06:55 CST

    On 21/11/2007, John Hudson <john@tiro.ca> wrote:

    > You mean for horizontal layout, don't you? In vertical layout, a vertically designed
    > glyphs would be stacked, using something like the VORG table for heights to ensure proper
    > connections.

    I don't see how that would work. You could vertically stack short runs
    of characters in the same way that you stack Tibetan vertically, but
    how would it work for inmdeterminately long lines of text? The only
    way I know of implementing vertical layout is for the rendering engine
    to rotate a run of text 90 degrees (clockwise for text that runs LTR
    horizontally, or counterclockwise for text that runs RTL
    horizontally). From a font's perspective there is no difference
    between horizontal layout and vertical (i.e. rotated horizontal)
    layout.

    Andrew