Re: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 17:58:40 CST

    Peter Constable wrote,

    > In the short term, designing Mongolian glyphs in RTL orientation
    > would allow a Mongolian user to author content using existing
    > horizontal-layout applications. In the long term, that will make
    > support for vertical editing of Mongolian in general-purpose (i.e.,
    > not Mongolian-specific) applications more costly and hence take
    > longer to be supported, if supported at all.

    The user could simply place the monitor on its side...

    Or a system of mirrors could be used. (Perhaps in combination
    with some smoke.)

    There were some PC style software applications available in the
    mid-1990s which offered vertical display of classic Mongolian
    script, but the editing mode was LTR Latin transliteration. (IIRC)
    (Qagucin and MLS are two systems which come to mind.)
    Perhaps Peter (and Eric) might try to communicate with
    Dr. Corff. With his experience he may have direct evidence
    about horizontal Mongolian embedded into RTL text.
    ( http://www.corff.de/ )

    Peter has been on this list long enough to know that, even
    if he is not seeking opinion or speculation, there are many
    of us who will cheerfully share our opinions with him anyway.

    His organization has ample resources with which to gather significant
    evidence from reliable sources. Asking on the Unicode list is a
    reasonable approach -- often evidence exists which can be provided
    by list members. But, we've mainly offered our opinions outlining
    the solid reasoning behind them. Clearly Peter needs to try other
    avenues. I urge Peter to try to get evidence from, say, Arabic
    linguistic publications. Or Arabic numismatists, or something that
    would be conclusive.

    If any information comes my way, I'll be happy to send it along.

    Best regards,

    James Kass