RE: Questions regarding U+FD3E ORNATE LEFT PARENTHESIS and U+FD3F ORNATE RIGHT PARENTHESIS

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2007 - 16:10:43 CST

    > > b.) Why U+FD3E and U+FD3F have the Bidi_mirroring property not set?
    >
    > IIRC, this is by design for back-compat reasons. I believe it
    > has been discussed on this list before.

    I did (long ago) suggest to the UTC, in a beta comment for 5.0 IIRC,
    that they be mirrored. However, the UTC decided to mirror quote marks
    instead. The latter I did NOT suggest, and that change was a really bad
    move, and has since been backed on. However, I still think the ornate
    parentheses should be mirrored, especially if they are used both in
    LTR and RTL texts rather than only in RTL texts.

                    /kent k