Re: Rot13 and letters with accents

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 04:07:57 CST

    On 06/12/2007, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:

    > What you should use is rot32768 (applied on a per-plane basis). Since
    > the BMP and Plane 2 are both pretty full, most actual text would at
    > least not contain large numbers of undefined characters (and Latin
    > text would largely turn into Chinese, of course). :-)

    And some Chinese text would turn into text that includes unpaired high
    and low surrogates as well as noncharacter codepoints. So, in my
    opinion a Unicode version of a rot13 type obfuscator should apply
    obfuscation on a per-block basis (and even then Arabic presentation
    Forma-A would be problematic). Of course that would mean that you
    would need to update the algorithm every time a new version of Unicode
    was released, and so text obfuscated with one version may not be
    correctly decoded with another version.

    Andrew