Re: Vai character use?

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 20:03:50 CST

    James Kass wrote,

    > Making a font for Vai is challenging. There are so many glyph variants
    > from which to choose, including historic/obsolete forms. Kudos to
    > Michael Everson and Jason Glavy for the quality of their work on
    > the Vai proposal and chart font.

    There are three recent documents which should be used as reference:

    N2948.PDF - The proposal
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2948.pdf

    N3081.PDF - Adds four Vai syllables plus the Vai digits
    http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3081.pdf

    N3243.PDF - Adds two syllables and *revises certain chart glyphs*
    http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3243.pdf

    Also, as mentioned, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in
    Unicode Vai was very helpful.
    http://www.unicode.org/udhr/d/udhr_vai.pdf

    And, when I mentioned Michael Everson and Jason Glavy, it was
    mainly concerning the fonts. The other two contributors to the
    proposal, Charles Riley and José Rivera, also deserve commendation.

    (I tried to make a Vai font about ten years ago based on a few charts
    found on-line. I didn't fully understand how much the script had
    evolved since its inception. The charts were confusing to me; there
    appeared to be certain conflicts and the volume of apparently
    acceptable variant forms was a bit staggering. Transliterations
    were inconsistent and repertoires differed. The proposal(s) really
    bring it all together. Job well done!)

    Best regards,

    James Kass