Re: Vai character use?

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 22:09:12 CST

    John Hudson wrote,

    > ... Lorna Priest at SIL sent me the list of extra-Vai characters they provided for the Luther Bible Translators:
    >
    > 0028 LEFT PARENTHESIS
    > 0029 RIGHT PARENTHESIS
    > 002C COMMA
    > 002D HYPHEN-MINUS
    > 002E FULL STOP
    > 0030 DIGIT ZERO
    > 0031 DIGIT ONE
    > 0032 DIGIT TWO
    > 0033 DIGIT THREE
    > 0034 DIGIT FOUR
    > 0035 DIGIT FIVE
    > 0036 DIGIT SIX
    > 0037 DIGIT SEVEN
    > 0038 DIGIT EIGHT
    > 0039 DIGIT NINE
    > 003A COLON
    > 003C LESS-THAN SIGN
    > 003E GREATER-THAN SIGN
    > 003F QUESTION MARK
    > 00B7 MIDDLE DOT
    > 2014 EM DASH
    > 2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
    > 2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
    > 201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
    > 201D RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK

    The Vai-specific exclamation point is formed by stringing two
    Vai full stops. The western exclamation point should probably
    be included in Vai fonts, too.

    U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK

    The Liberian unit of currency is the dollar.

    U+0024 DOLLAR SIGN

    From http://www.gocurrency.com/countries/liberia.htm
         "It is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or alternatively L$ to
         distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies. "

    Also, there is some indication that Vai users prefer oblique typefaces.

    Quoting Lorna Priest,
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=SILVai&_sc=1
         "An unusual feature of this font is the 11° slant requested by
         those in the Vai language community with whom we worked."

    Interestingly, on the SIL Vai Fonts Home page, the extras include
    a two-vertical-stroke variant dollar sign, left and right square
    brackets, the plus sign, percent sign, equals sign, exclamation mark,
    and both solidi.

    Best regards,

    James Kass