Re: Questions regarding U+FD3E ORNATE LEFT PARENTHESIS and U+FD3F ORNATE RIGHT PARENTHESIS

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2007 - 12:07:48 CST

    On 8-Dec-07, at 12:20 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > With those standardized mappings to Unicode, no change was
    > necessary to
    > these old legacy-encoded texts. They remain directly usable with
    > the current
    > Unicode-centered technologies through this simple mapping.

    I think my point (with the exception of my opposition to the whole
    idea of mirroring effect) is in accordance with your point. And my
    opposition to mirroring effect doesn't count anyway.

    > On 8-Dec-07, at 12:06 PM, Peter Constable wrote:
    >>>
    >> That might be a possible change, even if changing the mirroring is
    >> not. It would result in more-appropriate line breaking properties
    >> for RTL usage.

    Now I understand the issue better. But the usage of ornate
    parenthesis is very much linked to Koranic expression and heavily
    tailored fonts for that purpose. I think it would be a de-service to
    change its behaviour at this stage for narrow and specific focus that
    its usage has. But this is something that people who actually made
    fonts and applications for Koranic expression should evaluate and I
    am not one of them.

    Behnam