Re: missing chars for Arabic (sequential tanween)

From: arno (arno@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 00:28:09 CST

    Hi Khaled,

    thanks for your reply. After studying your proposal, I can tell that our
    aims overlap.
    The difference is: for the time being you are mainly interested in the
    signs needed for Qahira1924, I want to be able to write according to all
    established orthographies.

    Allow me two remarks write away:
    > Small Seen
    > The corrective small seen in the word /yabsuTu/ (Q2:245), this is
    > different from superscript cantillation mark (السكتة), U+06DC.

    I am sure that the superscript and the subscript small seen are the
    corrective seen use in Qahira1924.
    It is the "cantillation mark" / pause sign سكتة/س
    -- always with the article (?) -- that still needs encoding.

    > Chairless Hamza
    > ... is a non-disjoining character.
    > This means, when it comes in between two joinable characters,
    > it doesn't separate them. An example for the behavior of Quranic
    > Hamza, is the word /a'aadam/ in Q2:31, 33, 34.

    I do not see the need for this character.
    Why not use U+0621 ARABIC LETTER HAMZA for a leading hamza (as in
    /a'aadam/ in Q2:31) just as one uses it for a trailing one (as in
    /sawāʾun/ in Q2:6)?
    Why not use U+0654 Arabic Hamza Above for a non disjoining hamza between
    two jouned characters?
    Why not use U+0674 ARABIC LETTER HIGH HAMZA for the hamza BEFORE the
    second stroke of lam-alif?
    All we NEED is an amendment to U+0674 ARABIC LETTER HIGH HAMZA.
    I find its name not helpful. The difference is not between *above* and
    *high*, but between *on* the letter and *before* the letter.If this is
    so, all we need is a clarification for this letter and an added remarks
    like "serves for the flying hamza between the strokes of lam-alif".
    But it could be that U+0674 ARABIC LETTER HIGH HAMZA has some
    characteristics that prevent it from being used in that manner.

    Arno