Re: Question regarding U+00A6 BROKEN BAR

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 12:10:04 CST

    Karl Pentzlin wrote:

    > What is the use of the BROKEN BAR, especially contrastive to the
    > VERTICAL LINE?

    During some period of time (it may have been in the 1970s or even the
    1960s), the vertical line was displayed as broken in some devices. I
    don't think there's any good reason why this variant was later regarded
    as a separate character, with a code of its own. I don't think I've ever
    seen the broken bar in the wild, in actual use, as a separate character,
    though I have used devices (both display and hardcopy) where the
    vertical line has a broken shape.

    It is a mystery to me why the broken bar is included in some keyboards
    along with the vertical line. The only use I can imagine for it is in
    text graphics (conventionally called "ASCII art").

    (Sorry for sending my previous message, on U+00AC NOT SIGN, under this
    same heading. My e-mail program just got mad. Well, to be honest, I
    goofed up.)

    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/