Seemingly duplicated radicals, reasoning?

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2007 - 08:56:42 CST

    All,

    Digging through the code charts and names for both the Kangxi radicals
    (U+2f00 - U+2fdf) and the CJK Radicals Supplement (U+2eb3 - U+2ee9) I am left
    a bit wondering about some characters.

    What I understand is that both these blocks got introduced with Unicode 3.0.0
    (September 1999).

    What I understand is that the Kangxi radicals are the base 214 radicals as
    they appeared in the Zihui and Kangxi dictionaries.

    Nowadays, due to simplifications and other changes, various additional
    radicals got introduced in order to make look ups easier/more
    consistent/whatever. For this we encoded the CJK Radicals Supplement. Thus far
    I can understand it and looking at the glyph tables in my Unicode 5.0 book it
    is clear that these are either very different radicals in form or occupy very
    specific places in a hanzi/kanji. So far so good.

    What I do not understand is why there are radicals in both blocks for at least
    the following:

    U+2e95 and U+2f39 - radical snout (two) (a bit dubious one, since the latter
            seems to have the bottom stroke drawn past the standing stroke)
    U+2ed1 and U+2fa7 - radical long (one) (no apparent difference)
    U+2ee3 and U+2fbb - radical bone (no apparent difference)
    U+2ee4 and U+2fc1 - radical ghost (no apparent difference)

    Since I am going to use radicals for an application I am developing I want to
    be sure I am not misunderstanding anything. If the above are indeed not
    different would I just have to make sure I use the Kangxi radical over the CJK
    Supplemental one?

    Thanks for any enlightenment,

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/