Re: Acceptable alembic glyph variants

From: Andreas Stötzner (as@signographie.de)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 06:58:37 CST

    Am 23.12.2007 um 04:12 schrieb James Kass:

    > Is the alembic symbol shown in the graphic...
    > http://pwp.netcabo.pt/r.petrinus/symbol1.jpg
    > ...a glyph variant of the alembic symbol encoded at U+2697?

    Not quite so.
    2697 is a *pictographical symbol* which stands for “chemistry” in
    dictionaries. Note that is does NOT mean “alembicus”.
    On the opposite, the alembic-sign in the chart given is a
    *typographical character* meaning “alembicus” (the device) in
    alchemical notation. It is the glyph to be found regularily in most
    alchemical source charts of that kind and period (roughly: 16th to 19th
    c.).

    A:S

    Z E I C H E N S Y M B O L E S C H R I F T E N N O T A T I O N E N
       S I G N E T S

    Signographisches Institut Andreas Stötzner i. A.
    Private signographische Forschungs- und Ausbildungsstätte (im Aufbau)
    www.signographie.de
    as@signographie.de Tel. +49-34296-74849 Fax +49-34296-74815
    Helbigstraße 6, 04523 Pegau/Sa.