Cham sample electronic texts

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 20:06:17 CST

    Cham sample electronic texts

    Are there any?

    I've tried to enter Unicode Cham based on exhibits in the proposal
    N3120.PDF, but I'm a bit confused. Any pointers or links would
    be appreciated. My main Cham confusion right now relates to
    the difference between:
    AA2E ◌ꨮ CHAM VOWEL SIGN OE
      and
    AA43 ◌ꩃ CHAM CONSONANT SIGN FINAL NG
    ... and how both of these marks stack with relation to other marks
    (and each other).

    N3120 from Figure 4
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3120.pdf
    (entered in visual order, as reordering isn't yet supported...)
    -.ꨦꨄ ꨤꨪꨝꨭꩍ ꨀꨕꨬ ꨥꨮꩍ
    ꨟꨢꩍ ꨟꨬ ꨤꨪꨗꨮꨲ ꨴꨈꨭꩀ ꨔꨮ
    ꨟ ꨴꨈꨩꨭ ꨔꨮꨱ ꨂꨣꨮ ꨰꨨ ꨎꨪꩍꨕꨤꩍ
    (Graphic attached shows the section from the PDF along with
    the display of the above text on my system.)

    The first obvious question is -- which dash-dot Unicode sequence
    should be used to electronically represent the dash-dot at the
    beginning of this short bit of Cham text?

    The second obvious question is -- which of those glyphs should
    be U+AA2E and which should be U+AA43?

    The third obvious question is -- when will font engines support
    complex script handling for Cham?

    The Omniglot Cham exhibit
    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cham.htm
    shows a word transliterated as "pajưng" in the first line. Am
    I correct in guessing that the long, uprising line is the vowel
    mark and that the shorter line which looks a bit like a breve
    is the final consonant glyph? And, what is the preferred
    encoding order for that sequence?

    Should it be ...
    AA1A ꨚ CHAM LETTER PA
    AA0E ꨎ CHAM LETTER JA